Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Trying not to be a downer :(

So I've realized a lot of my posts start out kinda negative, and I'm going to try to write them with a more positive twist from now on.  Well, not now.  In the future.  My weekend show was a horrible disappointment (my husband is determined to point out the positives, but that's slightly harder for me).  I sold one thing in a 6 hour weekend show.  I didn't even make back the show fee, let alone make any profit.  It was miserable.  The show was poorly attended (and organized) despite being told repeatedly by the organizer that we'd have a great turnout.  I also now have a cold.  So that's nice.  My view is that it was by no means a success.  My husband's view is that I sold something, which is better than nothing, a few people signed the guest book and took business cards so they might be customers in the future, I currently have items on consignment in a local store, any exposure is good, and I have several custom orders to do.  I guess it's just disappointing and frustrating to put a lot of time and effort (and money) into being in a show, and have such a small return.  I have another show at the end of June, and I kind of feel like it will be the same story.  Both of these shows are brand new (not nice annual and anticipated events), so I'm trying not to worry that the second show will be a waste also.  Getting exposure is good, but it needs to translate into sales, because right now the show fees are coming out of my pocket at the expense of other things.  How do you stay positive when things don't seem to be going your way?

On the positive note I was promising, I have two delicious cookie recipes to share with you soon.  One for the Crunchy Sesame Cookies I made awhile back (bad photo to be included), and the best sugar cookie recipe I've had to date.   

1 comment:

  1. it's hard to get established on the "craft show circut", so don't give up. the more you put yourself out there, the more people will recognize you from other shows. join a local artist group also. it takes time, just don't put all your hope in one thing. you've got your etsy shop, and your craft shows, and a great suppportive husband, so smile!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete